Friday, May 18, 2012

Movie Review (sort of): The Avengers


Yes. I finally got around to watching the Avengers. I know that it's been out for 3 weeks already, and I know that I work at a movie theater and therefore should have seen it before now... but at least I did see it, right? Anyway, it was fantastic, and I'm so glad I did see it in theaters. I wasn't sure if I was going to, since I hadn't seen Thor or Captain America, and still haven't, but after hearing from so many people about how great it was, I knew I had to.

At the beginning of the movie, I was so confused as to what was going on. I had no idea what the cube thingy was, or how Loki came from it, or where Loki came from. Loki also seemed a little ridiculous to me, especially when he was in full 'god' or whatever gear. I still think that, but whatever, it's okay. Anyway, the story wasn't too hard to catch onto, and I quickly got into it. I loved how there was so much comedy in the dialogue, it definitely added to the movie. Then again, with Robert Downey Jr. As Iron Man, it was expected. However, Bruce Banner and Thor had some good lines as well.

I personally like superhero comic-book type movies; I have ever since the first Spiderman movie of that series in 2002. But, if you're a girl and are not sure if you'd like the comic-book based movies, I say give it a shot. For one thing, with all the guys in this movie, there's enough eye-candy to get you through the 2 and ½ hours, even if you do think the storyline is a little bit silly. Robert Downey Jr. As Iron Man, obviously; Chris Hemsworth as Thor, obviously; Chris Evans as Captain America, obviously; and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye – never heard of him before, and still really don't know much about his character, but, whatever, amazing! Haha. I also really like Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner/Mark Ruffalo) and Scarlett Johannson (Black Widow) as actors, and Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) is amazing, of course.

I do wish I had watched Captain American and Thor before seeing Avengers, though. I felt like I was missing a lot of background info on their characters, and I think it would have helped me to grasp it a little bit better. And I found that I really, really liked Thor's character! So, I'll definitely have to catch up on those two movies, and then maybe re-watch Avengers with a new perspective.

All-in-all, the actors in the Avengers are amazing, as was the action, and the dialogue. I still think the whole premise is a little bit ridiculous but I can definitely get past that, because I did enjoy the movie immensely.

2 comments:

  1. Good review Kristy. Definitely one of the best Summer blockbusters to come out in recent time and I just hope that when, and if this sequel does end up happening, that they don't screw it up and not bring back Joss Whedon. Because in all honesty, he's the main reason this film worked as well as it did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha watching the Thor movie would have definitely cleared up that whole 'Loki' thing...
    Captain America is an amazing movie! loved it !

    ReplyDelete